Thursday, April 21, 2011

Malbec Fortuitousness

Malbec Fortuitousness.. now that's a mouthful, can't believe I even spelled it right. So here's what happened. Tonight is my last night at Fort Benning (God Willing.) Our week has been to outprocess (or clear) for takeoff, which means we're re-evaluated medically, that we draw the LATEST AND GREATEST new Army gear (more on that later....) and that we convince the cadre that we're all trained up and ready to go. It's a painstakingly inefficient process that you try to do with 500 other soldiers that you don't know.

I said goodbye to the fam on Friday, arrived in this hot, humid Georgia heat and immediately woke up with a sore throat and wicked head cold. So while other members of our team were bowling, drinking, shopping and otherwise amusing themselves (in the evenings), I was napping, napping and napping.

But tonight, our last night here, I learned that I have officially cleared, and I'm on the manifest to take off tomorrow! No small feat. About half of our team were deficient until yesterday, and 4 of us were still deficient this afternoon. It was a snafoo in the paperwork, but had me panicked nonetheless. (Another week in this H-Hole all by myself???? No thank you.)

So, to celebrate, I decided to treat myself to an evening SHOWER!! As I entered the latrine, another female soldier was sadly placing a box of Malbec (Red Wine) in the garbage!! She said it was almost full, but that she couldn't drink it before tomorrow.... and couldn't take it with her.

SOOOO, got out of the shower, grabbed the box of wine, brought it back to the room, and filled my water bottle plus my roommate's, plus my neighbor's bottles and we completed the evening with wine and girl talk and packing for our BIG ADVENTURE!! JUST LIKE HOME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment