Friday, April 29, 2011

Day 1 To Do List

I know, I know, technically I am on Day 5 now (it's Friday), but I am finally recovered enough to tell you about Day 1. (Don't worry, I'm not going to blog about every day, but the first day was important.)

If you've been following along, you know that by the time I arrived in Kabul, I'd been travelling straight for about 3 days and was signficantly jet-lagged. There were two things that MAJ Tracy Coleman and I aspired to right off the bat.... get a room together, and get a bottom bunk.

But right off the bat, we were assigned to different rooms. We each walked into our rooms, which are designed to house 3 women in 2 bunk beds, in a space about 10'x16'. My new room was subdivided by two wall lockers with privacy sheets strung up by the occupants and it was packed from top to bottom with boxes of stuff. It was clear my future roommates didn't know I was coming. It was also evident that my future roommates were a much lower rank, which would make living together awkward.

Tracy walked into her room and was informed by her roommate that there were already 3 women living there.

Our shoulders sagged and we both considered crying. We were so exhausted.

Luckily, just at that moment, a female AirForce LTC that we work with showed up to check on us. We described our problem, she marched us down to the billeting office, and they immediately corrected the mistake by assigning both of us to the same empty room! Yay!

Room together... check!  Bottom bunk... check!

No comments:

Post a Comment