Friday, April 15, 2011

The Kids

So, today was THE day, the day I finally said goodbye to the kids and Jeff. We decided to have them escort me to Vicksburg to link up with my unit and join in all of the 'farewell' hoopla. We missed this the last time I deployed for two reasons: they were babies, and I went as a single filler. This time, I'm part of a 39 person team that has trained together for over 2 months. I thought it would help them better understand what I have gotten myself into, and be reassured (hopefully) by meeting some of my buddies.

I started to have second thoughts about this idea last night in the hotel room though, when Johnny turned a great snuggle-fest into a sob-fest, then Cara joined in, then I joined in and the 3 of us laid their in bed wailing until Jeff came over and calmed down the wreckage.

This morning, I went to the Reserve center early to draw my weapons (rifle, pistol) and waited for them to join me for breakfast. Then a little private conversation with each kid, then they walked us out through a gauntlet of families to the bus. We hugged one last time, and it was pretty tough. I've got to hand it to Cara though, she made it her mission to cheer me up with one of her hilarious pouty faces and fluttering eyelashes. Just like her Dad... turns serious events into opportunities for laughter.

An 8 hour bus ride to our next processing station. Should be pretty light duty here this week, then off to Afghanistan.

No comments:

Post a Comment