Wow, it's been awhile since I blogged, and a lot of stuff has happened. But rather than try to fill in all the gaps, I'll just pick up with my most recent adventure. Besides, with the Penn State tragedy this week, I'm sure everyone would like something fun and light as a distraction, huh?
So, last week, I headed to Qatar for a conference on logistics. The Qatar base is very comfortable with lots of amenities, plus it is safe, so it was very enjoyable. On the way back, one of my fellow Kabul colleagues (Air Force LtCol Gibson aka Gibby) and I had a 5 hour layover in Dubai in the middle of the night. He convinced me to leave the airport and go sight-seeing.
First of all, Jeff had ridiculed me for posting stock internet footage of the Dubai tower that I saw from the airplane on my way TO Qatar, so I had to get back at him for that... here I am in front of the tower (NOT PHOTOSHOPPED).
The plan was to go to the Dubai Mall, because apparently that has a huge aquarium, ice skating rink, and waterfall; so we took the Dubai Metro, but we went to the wrong mall! We went to Deira Mall, it was kind of cheesy. Got back on the subway, found the Dubai Mall, which is open until after MIDNIGHT!!! And it was packed. We saw a crazy candy store, an amazing waterfall and got to eat dinner overlooking the skaters. I had pommes frites with a lamb reduction and brie (like fancy gravy fries).
After that, we had to find a cab and our way back to the airport in time for the customs inspection, etc and board the plan by 3 am. The city was clean, vibrant and felt safe the entire time, despite that fact that we were two Americans running around in the middle of the night! Maybe it's because UAE is a dry country?
You can view the entire album at: Dubai Photo Album
First of all, Jeff had ridiculed me for posting stock internet footage of the Dubai tower that I saw from the airplane on my way TO Qatar, so I had to get back at him for that... here I am in front of the tower (NOT PHOTOSHOPPED).
After that, we had to find a cab and our way back to the airport in time for the customs inspection, etc and board the plan by 3 am. The city was clean, vibrant and felt safe the entire time, despite that fact that we were two Americans running around in the middle of the night! Maybe it's because UAE is a dry country?
You can view the entire album at: Dubai Photo Album
No comments:
Post a Comment