I've been gone for 3 months... how do I know? I was prompted to change my password on not 1, not 2, but FOUR different computer accounts. Talk about compartmentalization!
I haven't written in a while... there hasn't been too much that is notable, so I thought I'd just share a few 'short' stories about life here in Afghanistan. Not sure if I ever mentioned my boss.... Colonel Sanders. No really, his name is COL Craig Sanders. You can't make this ^%(*&% up! He's on a trip this month, and since I am his deputy, I get to be 'in charge'. The NCO's in my section took his picture before he left, blew it up to life size and printed it out on our large plotter, taped it to the back of our office door. Now, his eyes follow us while we work! Tomorrow, I'm sending him to our morning meeting with the General.
To combat the boredom, some folks built stonehenge while waiting for their drive team.
A few mishaps have occurred on our base. The fire department accidentally broke the valve on our water distribution line, sending 175,000 gallons into the street. A few people reported seeing 'a leak', but that was an understatement. The camp mayor has been trying to re-fill the tank for about a week, but it turns out we use almost as much as we draw from the well. So they're trying to institute 'combat showers'. For you civilians, that means you turn the water off while you soap up. We have some selfish folks that take 20 minute (or longer) showers! Finally, they had to shut our water off altogether today in order to catch up. We do not have enough port-o-potties for our population, so it got pretty gross.
We have some Greek soldiers here. The females wear really tight uniforms, big sunglasses, pouffy hair. We call one of them Snooky, to give you a picture. Anyhoo, the rumor is that she and another fella had relations on one of the picnic tables in the courtyard. As a result, ALL THE US SOLDIERS have to go through mandatory training on General Order #1 this week. We're a little curious about how education is going to deter this behavior. I mean, don't you think they KNEW it was wrong?
One of my colleagues has offered an American Tribal Dance Class (belly-dancing). I decided to try it, mostly because we get to do it in barefeet and I NEVER get to wear barefeet. I felt almost normal in a dance class with all women. The only weird part was my gun.
Played spades twice this month.... first time in like 15 years. So, all in all, the months have gone by quickly. A couple of times where I was really down and depressed, but they didn't last too long.

No comments:
Post a Comment