Monday, June 13, 2011

Omid the peddler

So it's been a busy couple of weeks. Last time I posted, I had gone north, but didn't post any pictures, so here's one.

But I have been really wanting to tell you about this little boy that I met last week. I was waiting for a ride in the Green Zone after a meeting. The GZ is an unusual place, the roads are bordered by 12' tall T-walls (Jersey barriers on steroids), and they often have no sidewalks, so you feel like you're in a cattle shoot. The guards, tactical vehicles, regular vehicles, buses, and pedestrians all share the same pavement. So I was waiting next to the guard shack for my ride with SFC Casella, in full body armor and my cup of coffee (stainless steel mug or course), when a little boy came up to me, and in perfect English asked if I wanted to buy a purse (it was a little bejeweled wallet.) I said no, but he continued to work on me for 45 MINUTES!!! Right there in the street. Guess how old he was? Five! 5! Five years old!?!?! No parents or siblings around. But his 'friend' or 'pimp' was lurking in the background, ready to provide him with more merchandise to sell.

He was cheerful, healthy, and knew all the right words to make a sale. He offered to let me have it 'on credit... pay him next time I see him.' Finally, some Japanese soldiers walked by, and I asked why he didn't sell to them.  Guess what he does?! Goes up and asks them in Japanese if they want to buy a purse! Turns out the kid knows just enough of each language to sell to all the coalition forces. He showed off his German, Spanish, and of course his Dari and Pashtun. Said his 10 year old brother taught him.

Finally, I asked his name.... Omid. It means "hope" in Pashto.

No comments:

Post a Comment