Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Norwegian Volleyball!

Bet that got your attention!  I travelled up north last week with SFC Casella to meet some of our engineer friends. The base was enormous, and wide open with lots of space to walk around and build things; but it was bleak. Very very bleak. No grass, no trees, a haze of dust hanging over everything, blocking the view of the mountain range. I stepped outside to use the latrine and my eyeballs were instantly coated in dust. Plus it was stinking hot.
Luckily, SFC Casella can usually find the positive attributes of most anything... so, he linked up with our buddy SFC Zimmerman and found the co-ed Norwegian Volleyball game. I didn't get to see it, but they reported scant clothing, and seemed quite satisfied with their physical fitness activity for the day.

It was a NATO base, and thus felt very cosmopolitan. We ate in a German dining facility. When I returned ot Kabul, my buddies (LTC Kirk Dailey and Air Force Lt Col Aaron Young) asked what aircraft I took. I said a C-160. They both smiled condescendingly and asked if I meant C-130. So I looked it up, and sure enough, it was a German aircraft... C-160... and I got to have the last laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment